“He Called unto Him His Disciples” (Luke 6:13)

In the darkness of the night, upon the elevation of the mountain top and hidden in the mystery of the secret counsels and unrecorded communion between Divine persons, the 12 are chosen (6:12). Such are always the sovereign ways of God:

“And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.” (Joh 10:16)

“And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.” (Joh 6:65)

“No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.” (Joh 6:44-45)

“Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.” (Joh 15:16)

“And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.” (Act 13:48)

“For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.” (Act 18:10)

“According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:” (Eph 1:4)

In the matter of salvation and effectual calling, we need not wonder, there is no confusion, the Word of God is clear, Gods eternal purposes are Sovereign! The choice is His and the purposes are in His counsel, not ours. No doubt He does not treat His creatures as mere pawns lacking will, reason or intelligence. For those created in His image and after His likeness, God became man, to suffer a death of torture at the murderous hands of His creature. This He did willingly and with a passion:

“Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.” (Psa 40:6-8)

Mechanical insincerity is not a charge which will stick against the almighty. His sacrificial death is all sufficient and His offer of saving Grace appeals to the will and to the heart of man (Isa 55:1; John 3:16; Matt 11:28-30).

God has His purposes, He is calling out a people for Himself:

“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.” (1Pe 2:9-10)

a people to possess a Kingdom:

“And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.” (Luk 6:20)

Those whom He has chosen in the secrecy of the night time (Luke 6:12) are called in the day time (6:13), called to inherit a Kingdom!

“Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:” (Heb 3:7-8)



Yours in Christ
Stewart

MP3 downloads of messages preached on many Bible subjects are freely available at:

www.newcumnock.org

Site Meter